Greg McGowan Pelican Landing
1. Place the octopus along with white wine, peppercorns, 1 lemon cut in half, spices and garlic.
2. Cover with water by 1inch and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
3. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook the octopus until it is tender when pierced with a sharp knife (anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes).
4. Drain and allow the octopus to come to room temperature.
1. Peel tomatoes, seed and cut in half. Place on a pie pan in smoker with a sweet wood such as apple, and smoke according to the manufacturer directions until you achieve the desired flavor.
2. Chop the smoked tomatoes and combine with garlic, shallots and lemon zest in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
3. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.
4. Add honey and herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reserve in a non-reactive container.
1. Place eggs and 1 1/2 cup corn kernels in food processor and mix until smooth.
2. Place mixture in bowl and add remaining corn kernels.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients besides the egg whites. Whip egg whites to soft peaks. Fold into batter and adjust seasoning.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat add oil.
5. Drop one ounce of batter and cook until golden brown, about two minutes on each side.
6. Remove from heat and reserve.
1. Place all ingredients into a food processor. Puree until smooth.
1. Place all ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil and pour over the chayote. Place in the refrigerator until cool.
1. Set the burners of a gas grill to high heat. Cover grill and allow preheating for five minutes. Toss the octopus with 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the octopus on the grill and cook for a few minutes on both sides until the octopus is well browned but still remains moist – 3 to 4 minutes per side.
2. Place corn cakes on plate.
3. Top the corn cakes with the tomato jam then add the chayote.
4. Cut the octopus tentacles on a bias, place on top of the chayote.
5. Garnish with avocado cream and fresh cilantro.
§ FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE & CONSUMER SERVICES REGISTRATION # CH36188 § A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE (800- 435-7352) WITHIN THE STATE OR ACCESSING THEIR WEBSITE AT WWW.FLORIDACONSUMERHELP.COM. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.